Saturday, September 17, 2011

Satin Sash Bag


      I always think of sewing in relation to shapes. Most everything can be simplified down to a series of basic shapes connected together. Simple minds can only handle simple concepts I guess. Anyway,  I was mulling over something quick and simple I could throw together for a fall/winter purse while I was having to sit still to get my hair done the other day. An idea popped into my head to make a bag from a circle.


      I tried out my theory later that day at dinner at Olive Garden on one of those cardboard coasters they give you...and decided my idea was worth trying. (and pretended my 2yr old was the one who messed up the coaster) I chose grey suiting fabric for the outside, and black satin for the inside. It has a bit of an academic vibe...

  
     ...mixed with a bit of an artsy touch...


     ...and every bit classy.


     Have I sold you on making one yet? It isn't hard, promise. To start, you are going to need three circles, one lining, one outer fabric, and one of interfacing. To make a circle, fold the fabric in half.


      Fold it in half again. This leaves you with a corner, four layers thick and folds along the edges.


       Starting at the corner, mark out 18 inches along one edge.


     Hold your finger on the corner and continue marking out 18 inches in an arc until you get to the other fold.


    Cut out along your marks.


     Open it up and you have a perfect circle 36 inches across.


      I used lightweight interfacing between layers.


     I had to cut this out in sections because it came in narrow strips.


     Along with your three circles, you will also need to cut a strip 22" x 7" for the strap. The sash will be a strip 102" x 7".


     To assemble, iron the interfacing to the one of the circles. Place right sides together and pin. I'm not normally a gal to use pins much, but in this case, I think it is super helpful to do so. Satin is slippery and circles can be weird to sew sometimes.


     Sew around the edges and leave an opening to flip it right side out.


      After you flip it right sided out, iron around the edges. That's another unheard of thing for me to do...iron...but, really, you need to do it here.


     Once it is all ironed all tidy like, top stitch around the whole thing.


     OK, now you need to make some button holes. Take a deep breath...you need to make 37.  Its not that bad really! Actually, this is the first time I've ever made something using a button hole...and of course I needed 37 of them. Nothing like over kill or anything. Point being, I survived them and you will too. I made a 7/8" button hole every three inches. Make the button hole an inch and a half from the edge.

      Once you've finished all of them, cut them open. I fray checked them all just for good measure.


     By the way, if you make this using a different size circle, make sure you have an ODD number of button holes. It has to be on odd number for the sash to be able to tie in the front. Now you need to fold your sash, wrong sided out.


       Sew along the raw edge. (Don't cut your ends like this, I chopped these straight later)


      Iron it flat with the seam in the middle of one side. Ironing twice in one day! Someone check my temperature!


     Thread your sash in and out of the button holes, gathering the top as you go.


     Make the opening as large or small as you like and tie the excess.


     Sew the shorter piece you cut for your handle just like you did the sash. Tie it to one of the inside loops on either side of the bag. This makes it so, if you feel like reversing the bag and using the other side, you can just untie everything and flip the bag.


     All finished. See? I told you that wasn't hard! It maybe wasn't quite as fast as I had in mind, but it certainly fits the ticket for simple.


     It even looks great from the side!


     I really like the idea of switching out the sash to another color if the mood ever strikes me. In the meantime, I'm pretty satisfied.


     
" O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people."
Psalm 105:1

Linking to:
Tatertots and Jello
Lolly Jane
Be Different Act Normal
Six Sisters' Stuff
Under the table and dreaming
Between Naps on the Porch
Goodbye City Hello Suburbs
My Girlish Whims

20 comments:

  1. Oh, well done you clever woman! The combination of the suiting with the satin was inspired, such an elegant solution. Wonderful instructions, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I didnt know you made this I would totally think this is am expensive designer bag! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is soo awesome! i love it.
    thanks for sharing!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. WORD. This is amazing! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great and sophisticated bag. I love it and now I need to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my my, this is FAB.U.LOUS!! This is really a great tutorial and I love the result- way to go thinking it all up on your own! I love how you instructed to mark and cut the circle- will make it very simple. Can't wait to try this out! I'm off to vote for you for purse week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Did you win purse of the week?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I just found your blog, and I am HOOKED! I made this bag today and it was so easy and turned out perfect! I have already had 3 people ask me to make one for them! Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am I dumb? I made an ODD number of button holes and it didn't turn out. I needed an even number, so I cntered my left over hole in the bag and tied my handle to it. Whatd I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The informations are so lovely and so usefull so thank you very much. Be sure i will use all of them keeping in my mind.Have a goog luck. http://guncelyazar.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the great instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i loved this idea and im going to try............... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice,also going to try.Thanks for sharing the details about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice,also going to try.Thanks for sharing the details about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice,also going to try.Thanks for sharing the details about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete