Monday, October 3, 2011

No-sew sleevless wrap


       If you want a fun addition to your fall wardrobe that takes all of 10 minutes to make, this is it! This is just a half circle with two arm holes and that's all.  Ya, I know, here I go again making stuff out of circles...hey it's a great shape...I should have entire week with daily posts on what you can make out of circles. Anyway, back to the business at hand. If you are the sewing type you can easily add some sleeves for a slightly dressier look.


        The curved circle part of it is what makes the slightly ruffled affect in the front.


       I used a novelty type knit for the black, it drapes well and doesn't curl on the edges. I left the edges unfinished. For the white, I used a loose weave knit that has almost a sweater feel. It is so soft! I did a zigzag stitch around the edges to prevent raveling. 
     Here is how you make them. I folded my fabric in half and marked an 28 inch arch. (if you want a longer style, just adjust the measurements. This style is a shorter, cropped back style...more for dressier wear than casual)


      Cut out along the arch and fold the half circle into fourths. Measure 14 1/2 inches from the point on the folded edge and mark it.


     Now make a four inch arch around that mark.


     Cut that out and you'll have this.


     Open that up and wear it with the curved part around your neck. It will make a natural drape.


      If you want sleeves, just trace the arm hole onto a folded piece of fabric and cut out. I tapered mine down to be a fitted half sleeve. It makes almost a dolman sleeve.


      Either which way, its a super easy piece to make. I plan on putting both styles in my Etsy shop, and the shirt too actually. Well not that one, that one is mine and I love it and don't plan on ever parting with it. I want to try a really long version of these...like knee length long. I think it would look lovely with jeans, boots and a dramatic looking scarf for winter.
      By the way, Happy October! Yaaaay...Christmas is almost here!

Psalms 34:1 "I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth."

2 comments: