Sunday, August 5, 2012

Circle Skirts Reinvented - Hi/Low and Asymmetrical Hemlines


       Circle skirts are fun to wear and fun to sew. I thought would play around with changing up the hemlines on the basic circle skirt with some soft, drapey fabric I recently purchased. I did a hi/low hemline and an asymmetrical hemline, and I rather liked them both!


      I used black elastic for the waist, and lined them with a short underskirt. The fabric is thin, with a lovely drape, which is exactly what you want for a circle skirt. You don't want to add any unnecessary bulk to the hips with thick fabric.

(White top can be purchased here or made following this tutorial.)

      For the hi/low hemline, cut out a basic circle skirt as long as you want the longest length to be. (Made has a great tutorial, so go there if you need help with that.)


     Unfold the skirt.


      Start cutting one side as short as you want the short part to be and slope it down to meet the long part of the skirt. You want the slope to end about halfway around the skirt.


        For the asymmetrical hemline, leave the skirt folded and do the same thing.


      Check out this tutorial if you need help putting on an elastic waist with an underskirt. This is such a simple way to take a classic cut, and make it a bit more modern.


      I had to be content with short ones, because of the width of my fabric. I'd love to try long ones if I can get my hands on some 60" apparel fabric. So, what do you think? Are circle skirts allowed to be tampered with?
These skirts are available in either color in my Etsy shop.

2 Peter 3:9   The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 

4 comments:

  1. They both look fantastic! What a great tutorial! I think I may do this with some skirts for me and maybe for my daughter :) Thank you for the fantastic tutorial and inspiration dear!
    Bonnie MS
    www.etsy.com/shop/RidingTheBonnieWay
    ridingthebonnieway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great, I'm definitely going to attempt this soon as exams are over

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it possible to buy this skirt from you. And what price?

    ReplyDelete