Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Little Pleated Plaid Skirt


       The other day I had a garage sale at my place, and I needed something easy to do while keeping an eye out for cars. I used up a remnant of flannel plaid to make this little skirt.


       The only difference between it, and regular gathered elastic waist skirt, is that I pleated the fabric before sewing on the waist band. I started with two rectangles twice the width that I needed. I added an inch to the length.


          Find the center and mark it.


       Then I just folded an inch of fabric over to make pleats.


      I kept making pleats until the width was just a tad larger than what I actually need the waist to be.


     I ran a stitch across them to hold them in place before I sewed on the waist band.


      I did the same to the back. I just made sure there were the same amount of pleats in front and back. I sewed up the sides of the skirt, wrong side out.


     I used two inch wide elastic for the waist. It needs to be the width of the waist minus one inch. I sewed the ends together like so.


       I opened up the elastic, and sewed the seam down flat.


      Next, I sewed the elastic to the skirt.


       Hem, and it's finished! It's not a huge obvious thing, but I think the pleats make it a tad more sophisticated.


     I did just a simple gathered waist one for the little sister...which is super, super fast and easy!


      Perfect little skirts for cooler weather.




       I just love that picture with them holding hands...I was thinking about hanging this version of it on a canvas in their bedroom after we move. Maybe decorate with more of a vintage toy room feel? Opinions?



     Happy sewing!

Psalms 138:6   Though the LORD be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly:

6 comments:

  1. I love the picture! Yes, hang it up and remind them they are each others best friend!
    ~mev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I used that same fabric to make a scarf a while back, but I think I like it as a girl's skirt even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How darling! And so comfy. My four little girls would love to have at least one of these in their wardrobe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abby! Those skirts are gorgeous! It's a pity that I can't sew :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a comment!
    Hugs from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and it's simplicity, which make it beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need To Increase Your ClickBank Banner Commissions And Traffic?

    Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products using banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and get the banner codes for your favorite ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete